Breast Imaging Preparation and Exams
- On the day of your exam do not apply underarm deodorant, powder or lotion from the waist to the neck, underarms or around the breasts. If you must use powder, deodorant or lotions, please let us know before the exam so that we may provide you with wipes to remove it.
- Please try to wear a two-piece outfit for your ease of changing and comfort.
- If you have had prior mammograms at another institution, you must bring them with you or have them mailed to us one week prior to your appointment. These will be utilized for comparison to your new exam.
A safe, simple needle biopsy that requires only local anesthesia can be performed as an outpatient to obtain a sample of breast tissue for laboratory diagnostics. This biopsy can be performed using stereotactic, (x-ray), sonography or MRI imaging guidance.
There are several things you can do to prepare for your procedure.
- A light meal is recommended on the day of the procedure, but do not eat within four hours prior to the procedure. You are encouraged to drink plenty of liquids up until one hour before the procedure.
- If you take blood thinners (Heparin, Coumadin, Persantine, Plavix, etc.) aspirin or other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (such as Advil, Motrin, Aleve, Naproxen Sodium (Naprosyn), Ibuprofen, etc.,) please let us know at time of scheduling. These medications interfere with blood clotting and may increase the chance of significant bruising. Our radiologist may want to check with your physician about these medications before the procedure.
- Your other regular medications should be taken as prescribed. You may take Tylenol.
- If you are taking blood pressure medication, make sure you take your prescription the day of your procedure.
- Wear a comfortable, two piece outfit.
- Do not use deodorant, powder, perfume, or any lotions on or near your breast on the day of the biopsy. These items can interfere with the interpretation of the images.
- Your most recent mammogram must be provided to us at least 24 hours in advance.
- A biopsy is considered to be minor surgical procedure. Please make arrangements for someone to drive you home after the procedure.
Other Breast Scans